For over 30 years, the Dalhousie Art Gallery has been publishing books and catalogues, documenting exhibitions and contributing to the critical discourse.

The Dalhousie Art Gallery's collection of 19th Century European prints were acquired primarily through a generous donation from the Carnegie Corporation in 1926. This selection concentrated on the etchings in that collection.

The trilogy of print exhibitions from the Permanent Collection closed with a selection of lithographs.

Halifax artist, Michael Fernandes was represented in this exhibition by a recent body of work comprised of gestural series paintings completed in 1980.

This exhibition of work by Terence Johnson, former Studio Division Head of NSCAD, comprised a project on which the artist had been working over a period of three years.

Otherwise known as"Six from the Styx", this group exhibition of Halifax artists was first shown at the Mercer Union in Toronto as part of a Mercer Union/Eye Level Gallery exhibition exchange.

An exhibition of the three works by Milne in the Dalhousie Art Gallery's permanent collection augmented by one on loan from a private collector in Nova Scotia.  The Gallery's Milnes were acquired through the D.M. Duncan Bequest in 1970.

The focal painting in Part Two of this series was an oil entitled  Paysage in Hauteur, 1873.  It was accompanied by prints and drawings generously loaned by the National Gallery of Canada and the Art Gallery of Ontario.

Exhibited concurrently with that of Mark Gomes for its complementary content and scale.  Three floor pieces and three wall pieces were on exhibition.

The first of an ongoing rotation of small selections from the permanent collection, this focused on the drawings and watercolours of Hind and Woolford which were acquired through the efforts of President Emeritus Dr. Henry Hicks.

This exhibition of work by Terence Johnson, former Studio Division Head of NSCAD, comprised a project on which the artist had been working over a period of three years.

This display of works from the Dalhousie Art Gallery's Permanent Collection is the first of a series which will be exhibited in the year to come. The selection of paintings and drawings in this exhibition was chosen to complement the Carl Schaefer in Hanover exhibition.  Many of the artists represented in our collection were contemporaries of Carl Schaefer and showed a similar involvement with the Canadian landscape in their work.

The first of an ongoing rotation of small selections from the permanent collection, this focused on the drawings and watercolours of Hind and Woolford which were acquired through the efforts of President Emeritus Dr. Henry Hicks.

The D.M. Duncan Bequest was made to the Dalhousie Art Gallery in 1970.  Douglas Duncan was a major Canadian Art collector and benefactor who died in 1968, and left his collection to the Canadian public.  The Gallery featured the drawings of Lionel LeMoine Fitzgerald, which it received from this bequest. An exhibition of paintings by two of Canada's best-known artists.  The 64 works by Lionel LeMoine Fitzgerald and David B. Milne represent part of the gift from Douglas M. Duncan Collection and the Milne-Duncan Bequest to the National Gallery of Canada.

This exhibition was the second in a continuing series of sculpture exhibitions in which the artist is invited to produce new work specifically for and dictated by the space defined within the Dalhousie Art Gallery. The first was Louis Stokes'"Alchemy Spirals" installation last winter.

This was the first of a series of small exhibition built around the loan from an anonymous collector of several works by European artists of the late 19th and early 20th Centuries.  The painting Nude Before a Screen by Henri matisse was featured in Part One, accompanied by a bronze relief of a nude from the same period, from the collection of the Art Gallery of Ontario.

Pages